Are you in search of a good book to read? I review YA and children's novels in hopes that everyone will enjoy reading as much as I do. Check it out!

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

And Now to the Not So Exciting Topic of Schoolwork

Now might be a good time to warn you... Not all my book reviews are going to be good. I will post about books that I didn't enjoy, to express my opinion first of all, and secondly because who knows? You may love the book I hated.

For my summer reading assignment for English, I was required to read Ethan Frome, by Edith Wharton. I didn't have any specific expectations for this book, which was good.

Bleh.

That's the only word I can really think of to describe this book. Sure, the writing was rich, and the mystery of not knowing Ethan's story makes you curious, but when it came right down to it, I didn't enjoy the book.

Okay, I admit, it was probably because it didn't end the way I wanted it to. But I mean seriously! I really just wanted to punch Ethan at times. I liked Mattie, but Ethan was just plain annoying. Yes, I understand that in the time period where he lived, there weren't many options for a man like Ethan, but wow. That ending was a bit extreme.

In English class, we were talking about that fact. Our teacher explained to us that Edith Wharton did not have a successful love life, which was why she wrote the book the way she did. Her message was that love would and could never end well.

If you think that sounds exciting, then by all means, read the book. It's not very long, but the language might be more difficult to understand for some people. If you like extremely dramatic romance, then this is definetely a book for you. But reader be warned-you won't like the ending, no matter who you are.

I hate to be a downer, but my gosh, that book was depressing!

No comments:

Post a Comment