Ever heard the of the Brothers Grimm and their famous stories? Well, for Sabrina and Daphne Grimm, they're not fairytales - they're facts.
After Sabrina and Daphne's parents disappeared one day, they've been tossed from one foster family to the next. So when they're sent to live with a woman claiming to be their grandmother, they prepare for another daring escape. Their grandmother is dead; their father told them so. The woman is a lunatic too. She's constantly talking about Everafters and how the girls are descendants of the Brothers Grimm. Their stories, she claims, are history.
Seven-year-old Daphe wholeheartedly believes in what the crazy woman is telling them, but Sabrina is twelve and much more sensible. She plans a way to escape from Granny Relda, but when the woman is actually carried away by a giant, Sabrina can no longer deny that everything she thought of as false, might in fact, be true.
If you've seen the popular television series Once Upon a Time, you'll find that this series and the TV show have much in common. The overall plot is different, but many of the details match up. I found that I deeply enjoy both.
One thing I didn't like though, was Sabrina's character. She's stubborn and very protective of her younger sister, but up to a point where I was getting annoyed with her. She's very set on not being a detective like the rest of her family and tries to tell Daphne that she's wrong. Again, stubborn.
I found Daphne's character much more likable than Sabrina. She's funny and sweet and trustworthy. She's not afraid to stand up to her sister when Sabrina tells her what to do and she throws herself into the detective business like nothing else matters. I love her character!
Throughout the whole series though, my favorite character of all was Veronica. You don't meet her until one of the last few books, but she has spunk and sass and isn't afraid to kick butt.
The Scarlet Hand was a really creative idea. I liked that it seemed real and believeable. And the identity of the Master? I have to admit, I did not see that coming. And then I wanted to scream. Partially because I thought I was really stupid for not expecting it and partially because I loved his character. But I can't reveal more than that! One thing I despise is people who spoil the book in their reviews, so I won't do that.
The books in this series: The Fairy Tale Detectives, The Unusual Suspects, The Problem Child, Once Upon A Crime, Magic and Other Misdemeanors, Tales From the Hood, The Everafter War, The Inside Story, and The Council of Mirrors.
No comments:
Post a Comment