Are you in search of a good book to read? I review YA and children's novels in hopes that everyone will enjoy reading as much as I do. Check it out!

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Things Fall Apart

So I just finished reading another book for my English class. This time, I was not nearly as disappointed as I was with Ethan Frome! The book was Things Fall Apart, by Chinua Achebe. It's written about the colonization of Africa and a really big part of the novel is the arrival of Christian missionaries. It's historical fiction. I know, I know, I usually can't stand historical fiction. But this book was actually pretty good. Actually, I just finished writing an essay about said book, which is why I decided to blog about it. The main character is Okonkwo.

Yes, you just butchered his name. Now go back and sound it out.

Okay, now that we've gotten that out of the way, I'll continue. Okonkwo is a highly respected man in his clan. The clan is called Umuofia. You should probably sound that one out too. So anyways, Okonkwo has quite a few flaws that make you dislike him sometimes, or at least disapprove of him and his attitude. But he's so realistic! I think that is probably why I enjoyed this book. You can totally relate to the characters (well, not necessarily relate to them, but you understand them and where they're coming from).

I can't say any more than that, or I'll give it away. But the book is really interesting! And I guarantee that you won't see the ending coming.

So yeah. Read it.

ALSO! My favorite month of the year has begun! It's officially NaNoWriMo everyone! Now I just have to finish my novel in one month. Let's do this people!

You should check out the NaNoWriMo website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment